Movember: What You Need to Know
When November rolls around, it’s not unlikely for our social media news feeds to be populated by photos of our male friends, family members and co-workers sporting new facial hair. Usually, they are growing mustaches to participate in “Movember” – a fundraising effort started by the Movember Foundation, which raises money to save and improve the lives of men affected by prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health problems.
The idea can seem a little silly – but in reality, it’s pretty genius. Starting on November 1, those participating shave their face clean and start growing a mustache (no goatees or beards are allowed), and ask for donations from friends and family to raise money for the Movember Foundation. These “Mo Bros,” as they are called, become walking (and talking) advertisements for the Foundation. The mustaches are a great conversation starter (especially if you’re not used to seeing your friend with a mustache)!
Last year, the Salamander Resort, in Middleburg, Va., came up with the perfect way to engage with these mustached philanthropists. They’re inviting customers in for a special men-only event, and donating a portion of proceeds to the foundation. Great idea!
If Movember is something that the consumers in your community care about (a simple Google search should give you the info you need on local chapters or events), why not get involved?
- Host an event like the Salamander at your spa or barber shop!
- Start a team within your small business to raise money for the Movember Foundation, and host events with your customers to increase your donation (party-planning resources from Movember here!).
- Host a mustache contest at the end of the month! Accept donations as entry fees, and raffle off prizes to a local barber or other men’s “grooming” shop.
- Specify a certain item (a brand of beer, type of sandwich, or other retail item) as your Movember donation item. For everyone purchased, you can donate a portion of proceeds to the Movember Foundation!
- Plan a men’s mustache grooming seminar at your retail shop or barbershop. Offer tutorials on mustache care, and give away free samples of products!
Are you celebrating Movember with your customers?