5 Easy Ways to Spot Trends (Before It’s Too Late)
By the time a trend has gone mainstream, it’s usually on its way out. Here are 5 ways that you can you get ahead of the trends happening in your community and your industry.
1. Read. A lot. From magazines such as Wired or Vanity Fair, to trade magazines from an industry outside of your own – to spot trends you have to survey the landscape. What’s going on out there? Can you draw connections between any trends in various industries? Can you apply any of these trends to your industry?
2. Listen. What are thought leaders in your community and your world talking about? Visit trade shows, community/cultural events or other forums for creative thought and listen up.
3. Volunteer. Working to better your community will allow you to meet people from different walks of life, and hear what they have to say.
4. Ask. What do your customers want? Have you asked for feedback lately? You might find that more of your customers are looking for products made in the USA or for more low-fat menu options, for example.
5. Stay Alert. Trendspotting isn’t a one-time thing. In order to make connections between what’s happening “out there” and what should be happening in your business, trendspotting needs to be an everyday thing. When a particular topic or question comes up twice in a week, take note. It’s likely indicative of something larger going on.