End of Summer Marketing Ideas
As summer draws to a close (boo hoo!), and depending on where your small business is located, you may notice a change in who your customers are and how often they are coming in. Kids are going back to school, tourists are leaving town, and possibly, your town is getting ready for college kids to come back for the fall semester. Regardless of your situation, we’ve got a few great ideas for promoting your business during the month of August.
Dog Days of Summer
Traditionally, the phrase “the dog days of summer” refers to the last days of July and the first few weeks of August in the Northern Hemisphere – the weather is typically hot, sultry and humid. Why not tie dogs (or the heat) into your end-of-season promotions?
- Put your summer merchandise on sale.
- Host a fundraiser or supply drive for your local Humane Society or other animal non-profit, offer discounts to those who donate!
- Host a “yappy hour.” Does your restaurant have a terrace or patio? If so, attract dog lovers by providing free water and dog treats for their furry friends. (The Hotel Monaco in Alexandria hosts one per week!)
If your retail shop is located in an area where there is a lot of foot traffic, an end-of-season sidewalk sale is a great way to attract shoppers. By setting out racks of clothing or tables of merchandise that’s on sale, you’ll be sure to catch the eye of passers-by. An even better idea: create a special offer for customers that purchase goods at the sidewalk sale! You could offer them a small gift to take with them, or a voucher good for a discount on their next full-price purchase. (Note: don’t forget to check with your city before putting merchandise or other structures outside your shop!)
Celebrate Fun “Holidays”
There are several fun “holidays” in August (and at the beginning of September) that you can use as an excuse to celebrate with your customers!
- National Lemonade Day (August 20) – Red Robin (@redrobinburgers) is using it as an opportunity to give back!
- National Banana Split Day (August 25) – Velvet Ice Cream (@velveticecream) is offering a buy-one get-one promotion!
- National Cheese Pizza Day (September 5)
- National Chocolate Milkshake Day (September 12)
As the temperatures continue to rise, why not offer flash sales on cold beverages? For example, if temperatures get into the triple-digits, offer special pricing on iced tea, lemonade, or even cold beer or mixed drinks! You could also make this promotion work for ice cream or other cold treats!
Have you seen any other great end-of-season marketing ideas? Share them with us in the comments section below!