St. Patrick’s Day is a cultural and religious holiday celebrated each year on March 17. Traditions include: displaying 4-leaf clovers for good luck, wearing green and pinch others that aren’t wearing green.
What can you offer your customers on this “lucky” holiday? Don’t worry, we’ve done the hard work for you! Read on for some festive marketing ideas!
While the day has gradually become a celebration of Irish culture in general, the day marks the anniversary of the death of St. Patrick, the most well-known saint of Ireland, and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland.
- The first St. Patrick’s Day parade in the world took place in Boston in 1737.
- Originally, the color associated with St. Patrick was blue. Green became associated with the holiday in the 19th century.
- An estimated 13 million pints of Guinness are consumed around the world on St. Patrick’s Day.
- Research what St. Patrick’s Days events are happening in your community, and see if you can become a sponsor or offer samples to participants.
- If you run a restaurant or a bar, provide your guests with an authentic Irish experience – Irish beers, and traditional Irish food.
- Take your authentic Irish experience one step further and host an Irish whiskey tasting!
- Have your employees dress in all green to create a festive mood in your store.
- Offer a seasonal product or menu item that reflects the mood of the holiday / season! McDonald’s Shamrock Shake, anyone?
- If you own a retail store, showcase your green merchandise or Irish products that you carry! You can group green clothing together, or group traditional Irish products, food and wine together, and offer an “Irish” discount for purchasing these products!
- Decorate (if appropriate) and host a St. Patrick’s Day celebration at your bar or restaurant.
- If your restaurant, cafe or retail shop has space, invite a Celtic band to play for your customers.
- Offer customers wearing green on St. Patrick’s Day a small discount, just because! You can surprise them at the register – how fun!
Check out our Marketing Holiday Calendar for more dates to celebrate!