Father’s Day is a celebration honoring fathers and celebrating fatherhood, paternal bonds and the influence of fathers in society. The United States, and many other countries celebrate it each year on the 3rd Sunday of June.
There are so many ways to show dear old dad that you care this Father’s Day – it’s hard to know where to start! Don’t worry – we’ve put a few good ideas together for you below!
Father’s Day was founded in Spokane, Washington at the local YMCA in 1910 by Sonora Dodd. Her father was a Civil War veteran and a single father who raised Sonora and her five siblings at the YMCA. After hearing of the success that Anna Jarvis had in establishing Mother’s Day, Sonora lobbied to have a similar holiday to honor fathers. However, it wasn’t until 1966 that Father’s Day became a nationally recognized holiday in the United States.
- At first, Americans resisted the Father’s Day holiday – they thought merchants were promoting it solely for their own commercial gain.
- While President Lyndon B. Johnson issued the first presidential proclamation honoring fathers (and designating the 3rd Sunday in June as Father’s Day), the day was made a permanent national holiday by President Richard Nixon in 1972.
- International Men’s Day is celebrated in many countries on November 19 to celebrate men and boys who are not fathers.
- Host a promotion at your store or café for “Why I Love My Dad” – get kids and their moms to write in for a chance to win a prize. You can host this on various social media channels, on your website, or in store. Share all the entries (in store or online) and promote the winner(s) in a photo with their dad.
- Offer dads a hand-rolled cigar with dinner at your restaurant.
- Offer dads happy hour pricing all day long at your bar!
- Put together a “Father’s Day BBQ Bag to Go” for moms and kids to pick up for dinner or lunch!
- Create a “Top 10 Perfect Gifts for Dad” list and display it in your retail location – merchandise these items together so customers can find them easily.
- If appropriate for your location, host an events just for dads – put the game on, fire up the grill, and have special offers or prizes for the dads.
- Don’t limit your marketing to just the standard “father figure” – think about all the different types of “dads” there are: first time dads, households with two dads, grandfathers, stepfathers, godfathers, father figures.
However the dad(s) in your life want to be celebrated, make sure to check out the fun marketing promotions below!
The “Mad Men” Dad – at Steak954 in Fort Lauderdale, Fl., dads will receive a complimentary hand-rolled cigar with dinner, as well a choice of two special Father’s Day cocktails: “The Old School,” or “Dad’s Glory.” Cheers to that!
The Dad in “Daddy’s Little Girl” Dad – little girls and their dads are invited to spend a special day together at participating American Girl Stores. Together, they’ll share a meal, make a craft, and sign a “father-daughter promise” to always have fun together.
The “Let The Good Times Roll” Dad – Pull up a bar stool and stay awhile! At Chicago Fire in Sacremento, CA, dads get happy hour pricing all day!
The Dapper Dad – Add a little beer to a spa service, and we’re sure most dads will get right on board. At The Spa at the Hotel Hershey in Hershey, PA, dads can take a “Men’s Microbrew Break,” a spa service that includes a cleansing facial, traditional massage, lunch and a local beer.
The “Meat ‘n’ Potatoes” Dad – Society Fair in Alexandria, VA, is offering up all the smoky goodness of a day by the grill, and none of the hard work. Pick up their “Father’s Day BBQ Bag To Go” and treat dad (and yourself!) to house-smoked ribs, kielbasa, macaroni & cheese, corn bread, a mixed-berry pie, and a bottle of hearty red wine! Yum!
Check out our Marketing Holiday Calendar for more dates to celebrate!