The first day of Spring, or Spring Equinox, occurs around March 20 every year.
An equinox is when the tilt of the Earth’s axis is neither pointed away from nor towards the sun – or, the Earth is “level” and the time of day and night are of equal length.
- The word equinox is derived from the Latin words meaning “equal night.”
- According to folklore, you can stand a raw egg on its end on the equinox.
- Refresh your store front and interiors. This doesn’t have to be costly – a new coat of paint, some fresh flowers should do the trick! If you have the space, rearrange the interior of your business – your customers will see your location with new eyes!
- Hold “spring cleaning” discounts or sales as you enter a new season.
- Have fun with your employees! Create a “dirty rag” competition – see which employee can produce the dirtiest rag after cleaning a certain area of your location. Offer prizes, and clean up – all in on step!
- While not a “celebration” per se, treat the first day of Spring as a reminder to review business plans and menus for the upcoming seasons.
- Hold a Spring Fling party for your customers – showcase your new Spring offerings, and sample new products.
- Are you located in a tourism-driven area? If so, prepare your business for an influx of customers with Spring Break vacations. If not, and your usual customers will be away on Spring Break, make plans to catch up on “back of the house” items, and ways to attract the customers you will have.
- Hide Easter Eggs (or other spring items) in your front lobby or waiting area. Ask customers to guess on how many items are hidden, and submit their guess in a fishbowl. Give the winner (or the one closest to the correct amount) a special prize!
Check out our Marketing Holiday Calendar for more dates to celebrate!